Starting PCs after 1st Level
So your campaign has been going on for over a year now, a few players have
vanished and now you have a few brand new players who need characters. Or
a valuable PC has retired for personal or story concerns. Making those
poor souls play characters who are just beginning, while often realistic, will
either get that character killed or ignored. Neither option is very nice
or pleasant for the unfortunate player.
A few suggestions for the GM:
- Give them the minimum experience necessary to grant the level of the
lowest regular Player Character. Some GMs prefer to give experienced
players who retire characters an identical amount of experience or
experience level to the new character.
- Grant a bonus of 10+1d10 silver talons in equipment for every level after
first. Any monies not spent on equipment will be reduced to 1/4 and
kept by the character.
- Roll once on the Miscellaneous Magical items table for every five levels
of experience. The GM must take care not to give too much magical
power to the new character. New players should never have more magical
goodies than the regular campaigners.
- 3 additional Learn Spell attempts per additional level. The PC may
assume that they are learning from a book, but may not use any other
modifiers without the GM's approval.
- Add one year to the starting age of the character for every additional
level of experience.
- Add one contact / friend for every 3 levels of experience beyond first.
© 2000 J. K. Wykowski & T. Coonrod